[AUUG-Talk]: Wind up AUUG: Objections?

Kevin Dawson kevind at esi.com.au
Tue Oct 28 09:47:19 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 02:47 +1030, David Newall wrote:
> Kevin Dawson wrote:
> > I'm
> > particularly disappointed with David because even after semi-private
> > correspondence on the matter, you still persist in trying to force the
> > issue.
>
> Your disappointment is regrettable.  I'm doing an unpleasant job, but
> one which is essential and perhaps quite timely, too: there apparently
> is still a brief opportunity for members to control the outcome.

And that is the reason.  I have no disagreement that something needs to
be done.  What I did find problematic was your threat to take the matter
to CAV, thereby preventing the members from determining their preferred
course of action when I believe you are not a member yourself, nor (from
the timezone and path in your emails, although I acknowledge that might
mean nothing) a resident of Victoria.  If either of these assumptions is
incorrect, I apologise unreservedly.

> I plan
> to continue, at the same gentle, plodding pace, until the matter is
> resolved one way or another.  I won't rush anyone, but I will ensure
> that the job gets done.  I believe I'm doing good, and the recent flurry
> of activity encourages me in that view.

Yes, I would also encourage you to continue doing so.  Further, I will
acknowledge your role in keeping the web site alive.

> I planned not to say, but since you mentioned it, I did find the
> semi-private nature of your correspondence awkward, and felt hampered by
> the need to respect your confidence.  I saw no need for secrecy, still
> don't, and much prefer having everything out in the open.

Fair enough - I accept that.  I also prefer things out in the open but
as I mentioned at the time, there were still gaps in my knowledge and
possibly some wrong ideas.  Over the past 2 years or so, I've had
various discussions with the Board regarding procedural matters and I
was hopeful of a pronouncement from them, but when that didn't come, I
accepted your urging to post something myself (which unfortunately got
held up and was bypassed by all the AUUGPS discussion).  It is not my
intention to offend anyone; rather, to stimulate activity and to give
ourselves the best chance of succeeding in our goals.

Thanks,
Kevin