[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG membership - confirming email address

Peter Jeremy peter.jeremy at alcatel-lucent.com.au
Tue Jan 29 12:13:31 EST 2008

On 2008-Jan-29 11:30:54 +1100, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>And a court challenge is exactly what I'm trying to prevent, by insisting
>that AUUG not do an email ballot if the changes have not been lodged;
>there's a lot of bush lawyers out there, after all.

Likewise.

The ballot has to be run in such a way as satisfy both the Registrar
and the membership in general.  I'm not sure how much of a stickler
for rules the Registrar will be but if the rules are not followed to
the letter then a dissatisfied minority could get the whole dissolution
process bogged down in the courts - which would very rapidly dissipate
AUUGs assets.

>Given the ease by which email can be forged, I'm curious as to how it can
>be validated, and how anonymity can be preserved along with voter
>verification etc.

Even in a postal ballot, preserving anonymity relies on trusting the
returning officer and his assistants.  Electronic voting is the
subject of much research internationally.  Wikipedia has a reference
to a collection of voting systems at:
http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Politics/Campaigns_and_Elections/Electronic_Democracy/Electronic_Voting_Systems/

--
Peter Jeremy