[AUUG-Talk]: Whither options for continuing AUUG

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Sun Jan 20 16:43:19 EST 2008

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> Let's look at this from the point of view of keeping AUUG alive.  What
> difficulties are there in what I'm suggesting, and how do we surmount
> them?

Let's look at this from the point of view of people who care.  Few AUUG
members care; witness the thundering silence in terms of actual activity.

I agree that the money is a big thing, because the alternatives to AUUG
are already free, as well as much more active and therefore exciting and
engaging.  AUUG has nothing going for it other than its history.  If
AUUG is to be viable, the piffling costs of auditing, domain license,
and so forth, will easily be generated through returns on activity, if
not by corporate sponsorship.  The only way AUUG will run out of money
is if it continues doing nothing, or if it continues doing grandiose
things badly, and it must be said that the last two conferences are
examples of this.  (Apologies to whoever organised them, but it's the
unvarnished truth.)

What can AUUG do that isn't already being done by others?  I can't think
of a single thing, except wave the proprietary flag which vendors
already do admirably, and almost nobody else cares about.  AUUG is the
appendix of the UNIX culture, and will probably become just a footnote.
I'd be the first person cheering if this was not the case, but it is.
Isn't it?