[AUUG-Talk]: Re: does auug have a future?

Peter Miller millerp at canb.auug.org.au
Tue Feb 19 15:50:51 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 13:01 +1030, David Fitch wrote:
> Greg's post of Fri 15th Feb that it
> should continue in a free form is not only an excellent
> suggestion but the only viable way.

One possible implementation of AUUG in a free form is to transfer
auug.org.au to Linux Australia (LA), and have them take care of the
domain renewals, etc.  (Non sequitur: LA membership is $0.)  I have
spoken to the relevant people, and they think this is well within LA's
charter, and they are prepared to let us keep administering everything
like mailing lists, etc (quite happy, actually, as it's no extra work
for them).  LA already has incorporation and insurance and all that
other administrivia.  LA qualifies against the AUUG Constitution's
criteria for non-profit-ness.  We could even transfer ownership of the
AUUG servers to LA ownership, or hosting contracts, or however it is we
do it, and they will make them available right back.

The above is quite serious, and is not intended as a troll.

In the same vein, LA has a large and active annual conference, with many
students attending.  I think this would be an excellent venue for the
John Lions student prize.  The LCA paper selection committee already
evaluates papers on their merits, it is a very small additional effort
to choose the best student paper.  I also believe that LA can be trusted
to manage the prize trust (they have plenty of other money, they have no
need to raid it) but the detail of the where to park the funds doesn't
fuss me, and you can park it with the JL chair or anywhere else that you
wish.  It's the LCA conference I'm most interested in suggesting.

(It does seem to be a good idea, though, that the JL student prize
monies be transferred to one of the trustees *before* the dissolution,
if and when it happens, so those monies can stop muddying the waters.)

Regards
Peter Miller <millerp at canb.auug.org.au>
/\/\*        http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge." -- Henry Spencer