[AUUG-Talk]: Query about "unincorporated successor AUUG's" and AUUGs domain

Christopher Vance Christopher.Vance at auug.org.au
Fri Feb 15 12:58:28 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:05:31AM +1100, Lawrie Brown wrote:
>I'm (sadly) looking at my ballot instructions, but before I proceed
>to vote, I was wondering whether anyone has actually put up their hand
>to setup any unincorporated successor "AUUG" like associations that the
>board are aware of.

It looks to me as if nothing is happening along this line.

The same apathy that's killing AUUG seems to me likely to prevent any
subsequent rising of Son Of AUUG, AUUG The Undead, or AUUG The
Fourth....

>Also in terms of assets to be disposed, one of my key concerns is
>with AUUG's domain name (auug.org.au), and I'd like to ensure its
>continued existance (specifically because a number of use still use
>the canb.auug.org.au sub-domain ... and we VERY much want that to remain
>active). SO has there been any discussion about a suitable organization
>to manage that? If not, can I suggest that the PCUG ACT, which is an
>incorporated association, has a number of AUUG Canberra members as
>admins, and which used to host the AUUG main domain (and website), and
>still hosts the canb.auug.org.au sub-domain (and website ... for what
>its worth), be considered. If it helps, we have (half jokingly)
>proposed establishing an "ACT Unix Users SIG" in PCUG to more clearly
>own and manage such a resource.
>
>In discussions with Stephen Rothwell on DNS management, it would seem to
>be a good idea to initiate any such transfers whilst AUUG still exists
>as a legal entity to avoid hassles with the registrars in this process.
>As has been raised before on this list - whilst AUUG exists as a
>legal entity, the board is free to deploy its resources in any manner
>that would assist with its aims. A transfer of something like a
>domain name to a compatible organization would seem to be perfectly
>valid.

The Board has not made any decision on this matter, but it looks
reasonable to me.

Somebody who wants the name might be wise to check what rules apply to
transfer of .org.au domains.

--
Christopher Vance