[AUUG-Talk]: Query about "unincorporated successor AUUG's" and AUUGs domain

Lawrie Brown Lawrie.Brown at canb.auug.org.au
Fri Feb 15 11:05:31 EST 2008

Hi All

I'm (sadly) looking at my ballot instructions, but before I proceed
to vote, I was wondering whether anyone has actually put up their hand
to setup any unincorporated successor "AUUG" like associations that the
board are aware of.

Also in terms of assets to be disposed, one of my key concerns is
with AUUG's domain name (auug.org.au), and I'd like to ensure its
continued existance (specifically because a number of use still use
the canb.auug.org.au sub-domain ... and we VERY much want that to remain
active). SO has there been any discussion about a suitable organization
to manage that? If not, can I suggest that the PCUG ACT, which is an
incorporated association, has a number of AUUG Canberra members as
admins, and which used to host the AUUG main domain (and website), and
still hosts the canb.auug.org.au sub-domain (and website ... for what
its worth), be considered. If it helps, we have (half jokingly)
proposed establishing an "ACT Unix Users SIG" in PCUG to more clearly
own and manage such a resource.

In discussions with Stephen Rothwell on DNS management, it would seem to
be a good idea to initiate any such transfers whilst AUUG still exists
as a legal entity to avoid hassles with the registrars in this process.
As has been raised before on this list - whilst AUUG exists as a
legal entity, the board is free to deploy its resources in any manner
that would assist with its aims. A transfer of something like a
domain name to a compatible organization would seem to be perfectly
valid.

Thanks
Lawrie