[AUUG-Talk]: Re: The future of AUUG (was: So, How was it? [Last AUUG Conference])

Andrew McRae amcrae at employees.org
Fri Oct 19 17:05:49 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 17:42 +1100, John Dalton wrote:
> On 10/19/07, Andrew McRae <amcrae at employees.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 15:52 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> > >
> > > Steve spoke of "diehards" on both sides. What reasons would LA have for
> > > not wanting a merger with AUUG?
> >
> > AUUG's constituency is wider and more inclusive than LA. AUUG by
> > tradition and by article aims at any Unix or Open System, e.g AIX or
> > Solaris (prior to any GPL3 licensing of Solaris), whereas LA
> > excludes non-GPL systems.
> >
> > For instance, no presentation can be given at LCA about anything that
> > isn't available under an Open Source licence (maybe even under a GPL
> > licence, not sure about that). That effectively means anybody who
> > wants to talk about something in a non-GPL kernel (or perhaps
> > a non Open Source kernel), cannot do it at LCA.
>
> The CFP for LCA 2008 explicitly included the BSDs and any other FLOSS
> topic - it's certainly not restricted to GPL only.

Yes, that's what I thought - though the big sticking point
was that it excluded proprietary unices (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX etc).
At one point this was a big deal. As time has gone on, things
have changed markedly so that these are mostly irrelevant.
We must move with the times...

> SAGE-AU is an organisation which supports both free and proprietary
> *nix systems..

As well as other OS's.

Cheers,
AMc