[AUUG-Talk]: Lions Chair/Dissolution of AUUG

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Mon Nov 26 23:48:14 EST 2007

I just reread AUUG's constitution, and I don't think AUUG can fund the
UNSW Lions Chair.  Section 3 of the constitution sets out AUUG's aims
and which activities they may engage in, and "sponsor worthy people,
positions or organisations" is not one of them.  Curiously, "subscribe
to or cooperate with or affiliate with or amalgamate with other
associations formed elsewhere with similar aims," is.

I'm uncertain of my facts here, but I think the Lions Award is funded by
a trust, totally separate to AUUG, though AUUG appoints the trustees
from time to time.  In other words, it's not AUUG's money.  AUUG would
certainly need to change its constitution to help endow a chair, and
surely the trust deed would also need to be changed.

The constitution says what should be done on AUUG's dissolution, which I
paraphrase by, "give the assets to charity."  A chair-endowment is not a
charity.

I'd like members to imagine a world in which Linux Australia didn't
form, but AUUG became them instead; AUUG's name and constitution
replaced with Linux Australia's.  I wonder whether or not John Lions
would have approved of that change.  I think he would.

It is with these points in mind that I'd like to highlight that curious
activity listed in the constitution, which I noted above: "For the
furtherance of these aims and to achieve its purposes, the AUUG may