[AUUG-Talk]: Lions Chair/Dissolution of AUUG

Luigi Cantoni Luigi.Cantoni at Dominos.nl
Mon Nov 26 23:52:19 EST 2007

David,
You are correct it is separate and is not AUUG money.

Thanks Luigi

-----Original Message-----
From: talk-bounces+luigi.cantoni=auug.org.au at auug.org.au
[mailto:talk-bounces+luigi.cantoni=auug.org.au at auug.org.au] On Behalf Of
David Newall
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 1:48 PM
To: AUUG Talk List
Subject: [AUUG-Talk]: Lions Chair/Dissolution of AUUG

I just reread AUUG's constitution, and I don't think AUUG can fund the
UNSW Lions Chair.  Section 3 of the constitution sets out AUUG's aims
and which activities they may engage in, and "sponsor worthy people,
positions or organisations" is not one of them.  Curiously, "subscribe
to or cooperate with or affiliate with or amalgamate with other
associations formed elsewhere with similar aims," is.

I'm uncertain of my facts here, but I think the Lions Award is funded by
a trust, totally separate to AUUG, though AUUG appoints the trustees
from time to time.  In other words, it's not AUUG's money.  AUUG would
certainly need to change its constitution to help endow a chair, and
surely the trust deed would also need to be changed.

The constitution says what should be done on AUUG's dissolution, which I
paraphrase by, "give the assets to charity."  A chair-endowment is not a
charity.

I'd like members to imagine a world in which Linux Australia didn't
form, but AUUG became them instead; AUUG's name and constitution
replaced with Linux Australia's.  I wonder whether or not John Lions
would have approved of that change.  I think he would.

It is with these points in mind that I'd like to highlight that curious
activity listed in the constitution, which I noted above: "For the
furtherance of these aims and to achieve its purposes, the AUUG may
[...] subscribe to or cooperate with or affiliate with or amalgamate
with other associations formed elsewhere with similar aims".
Talk - The AUUG discussion list.
Talk at auug.org.au
Disclaimer:

This message, including any attachments, is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and/or subject to copyright. Any other use, distribution,
copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient or have received this message in error, please
notify us immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this
message, including any attachments, without reading, or distributing
it or making a copy.