[AUUG-Talk]: Re: Don't close AUUG down!

Adrian Close adrian at auug.org.au
Tue Dec 11 11:46:17 EST 2007

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Given the shortness of time, still not having a secretary and some
> issues that others raised about the timeliness of the AGM and the
> question of whether decisions made there can be valid, what do you
> think of postponing the AGM until February?  Is there some reason why
> it has to be now?

As I recall, there is a constitutional requirement for the AGM to be held
before the end of the year.  We were intending to hold it at the
conference where more people could have participated in person but
apparently not enough official notices was given and so we were forced to
make it less convenient.

So, the meeting announce stands.  I expect the meeting to be quorate and
thus decisions take will be valid according to the rules.  However, I do
not believe the organisation can be dissolved at this meeting - the most
that can be decided at the meeting is to conduct a paper ballot of the
members on the issue.

It is _not_ my desire to dissolve the AUUG and consign 30+ years of
Australian computing history to footnote status.  But this _is_ the
default course of action given the current level of member participation.

IFF it is the desire of the membership to continue on (whether as the
current not-for-profit, or as a non-financial organisation), said
membership needs to get active.  This means filling all the board
positions (not just the bare minimum).  This means getting out there and
doing stuff.  This means YOU there, at the keyboard.

If you're a financial member, you can join the board today.  If you're not
financial, we have a website that can rectify that in short order (or get
in touch with the Treasurer).

If you don't want to become financial, then I respectfully suggest that
you may not possess the required level of committment to the organisation.
Seriously, it's not a huge amount of money for an organisation of
computing professionals and it's tax deductible, right?

Adrian Close <adrian at auug.org.au>
President, (and paid-up member), AUUG Inc.