[AUUG-Talk]: Re: Don't close AUUG down!

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Tue Dec 11 12:30:18 EST 2007

Christopher Vance wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 11:15:24AM +1030, David Newall wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:15:24 +1030
>> From: David Newall <david.newall at auug.org.au>
>> Subject: Re: [AUUG-Talk]: Re: Don't close AUUG down!
>> To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au>
>> CC: Christopher Vance <Christopher.Vance at auug.org.au>,
>>     AUUG Board of Directors <board at auug.org.au>, talk at auug.org.au,
>>     AUUG Announcements List <auug-announce at auug.org.au>
>>
>> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>>> Note that I'm not a member, and I don't intend to renew now.  I think
>>> one of the really big things that killed AUUG as we know it is that
>>> most people don't see any advantage in paying $125 for a membership
>>> that doesn't really buy them anything.  However, board members are
>>> exempt from membership fees.
>>>

>> Are you sure?  Apparently it was on the Agenda for the 2005 AGM,
>> however such a change would have required a (postal) ballot.  Did
>> that occur?
>
> My interpretation, and recent practice, has been that somebody has to
> pony up the $ to become a member before they are eligible to become
> board.  Once they're on the board, a failure to renew doesn't
> automatically unboard them.

I read it differently:

11.2. A member who has been unfinancial for more than two calendar
months shall be deemed to have resigned his membership, and shall no
longer be entitled to any privileges enjoyed by members.

23.1 The position of any General Committee Member shall be vacated ...
if the member ceases to be a member of the AUUG.