[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Mon Sep 18 13:34:43 EST 2006

Raymond,

> I believe that building software which complies with standards
> and works well with others is an essential part of building
> useful software regardless of whether it is proprietary or
> open source. AUUG is the only Australian voice for this idea.
> Certainly I cannot see OSIA or large parts of LA being happy to
> promote proprietary software even if it complied with well
> defined standards.

Proprietary software seems to be predominantly commercial software and
commercial software needs to be able to market itself and make its own
profit.

It strikes me that AUUG might have been a community of users and
administrators who all used or administered proprietary unixes (eg: AIX,
HP-UX, Solaris etc) but I don't know whether AUUG ever really promoted
the proprietary product.

DSL