[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Raymond Smith raymond at humbug.org.au
Mon Sep 18 12:41:55 EST 2006

Hi David,

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 01:40:10AM +0930, David Newall wrote:
> What's going on here, with this "we're UNIX not Linux", is nothing more
> than stubborn pride.  And all of us, in our secret hearts, know that.

I do understand your frustration. I consider myself a Unix person
even though my background is almost totally Linux with only a dash of
Solaris. The user communities do have a lot of overlap as they share
people, philosophy, and software. Right down to the constant internal
bickering between supporters of this or that distribution of Linux.

However, I do agree with David when he says:
| My personal and professional interest is in standards based computing.
|
| Now get this:
|
| Open Source != Standards Based Computing

I believe that building software which complies with standards
and works well with others is an essential part of building
useful software regardless of whether it is proprietary or
open source. AUUG is the only Australian voice for this idea.
Certainly I cannot see OSIA or large parts of LA being happy to
promote proprietary software even if it complied with well
defined standards.

I think it would be shame for this voice to be lost - which is
why decided to help out on the board. Is this enough of a
justification for AUUG to continue? I hope so, but clearly it
is an open issue. It will be an interesting AGM.

Albeit one overshadowed by a great conference! :-)

Cheers,

Raymond
raymond at humbug.org.au