[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Raymond Smith raymond at humbug.org.au
Mon Sep 18 14:35:37 EST 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 01:04:43PM +0930, David Lloyd wrote:
> >I believe that building software which complies with standards
> >and works well with others is an essential part of building
> >useful software regardless of whether it is proprietary or
> >open source. AUUG is the only Australian voice for this idea.
> >Certainly I cannot see OSIA or large parts of LA being happy to
> >promote proprietary software even if it complied with well
> >defined standards.
>
> Proprietary software seems to be predominantly commercial software and
> commercial software needs to be able to market itself and make its own
> profit.
>
> It strikes me that AUUG might have been a community of users and
> administrators who all used or administered proprietary unixes (eg: AIX,
> HP-UX, Solaris etc) but I don't know whether AUUG ever really promoted
> the proprietary product.

True. I guess promotion as in 'pushing product' is not really
what I meant. Perhaps a better way of saying it is that AUUG can
express approval of standards based software regardless of how it
is licensed. Whereas I imagine that OSIA would not be happy until
all the software was open sourced.

I certainly agree that AUUG should be a users group not a vendors
interest group.

Cheers,

Raymond
raymond at humbug.org.au