[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Greg Black gjb at auug.org.au
Fri Sep 15 12:14:26 EST 2006

On 2006-09-14, Greg Rose wrote:

> First, I recognised the names of the vast majority of the people who
> replied (so far) to Greg's mail. This scares me; since I haven't been
> involved for a while, it implies that there is very little new blood
> in AUUG. If ever there was a reason that an organization's time had
> come, that might be it.

It might also be the case that the noisy people here are the
ones who feel comfortable with offering their opinions in this
forum.  Maybe there are no new faces, but I have no way of
telling.  (And, if there aren't any, then clearly one thing we'd
need to do is to improve our "marketing" so more young people
got to know about AUUG.)

> Second, in the event of a wind-up, I would remind people that a
> significant amount of AUUG's cash is actually reserved for the John
> Lions Prize for research into Open Systems (or whatever the correct
> title is). I see many people in favour of putting money towards
> UNSW's John Lions Chair, which is good, but I'd go further and say
> that, at the very least, the endowment for the prize morally *must*
> go in that direction.

I still think it's too soon to be talking about winding up, but
I certainly endorse this idea.

> Anyway, I think the procedural stuff should be talked about at the
> upcoming meeting, and perhaps a vote scheduled for early next year.
> One doesn't need to hurry.

Absolutely.

Greg