[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Fri Sep 15 04:59:50 EST 2006

Wow, lots of discussion. I don't have much to add... but here it is.

First, I recognised the names of the vast majority of the people who
replied (so far) to Greg's mail. This scares me; since I haven't been
involved for a while, it implies that there is very little new blood
in AUUG. If ever there was a reason that an organization's time had
come, that might be it.

Second, in the event of a wind-up, I would remind people that a
significant amount of AUUG's cash is actually reserved for the John
Lions Prize for research into Open Systems (or whatever the correct
title is). I see many people in favour of putting money towards
UNSW's John Lions Chair, which is good, but I'd go further and say
that, at the very least, the endowment for the prize morally *must*
go in that direction.

Third, if pretty much all the membership is non-financial, it makes
things interesting for the surviving honorary life members :-).
Chris? We might be a quorum...

Anyway, I think the procedural stuff should be talked about at the
upcoming meeting, and perhaps a vote scheduled for early next year.
One doesn't need to hurry.

Greg.