[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 10:46:48 EST 2006

There may be other new folks about.
It doesnt seem a good time to say.
Hi I'm new. I'm also a penguin.

There are plenty of issues and events which could potentially be run
under a broad unix and broad free culture perspective. I dont know
what kinds of things are a 'hunger' for other members.

They will likely be different from mine as a penguin
and someone interested in getting floss responsible laws in AU.

Other folks might be interested in the specific user group kind of
info and community. I guess youve gotto look at what feels valuable to
existing members
and if you want to grow, what is the rest of the community hungry for that
doesnt specifically fit under a linux banner.

Do you want to be involved in the kinds of things that might make the org grow?
Growing stuff does take effort and money.
Operating as a kind of sponsor foundation for John Lions might be
useful in itself if you have value to provide your members in return
or if they see that as a benefit.

We are fortunate in AU that there are some great lugs and lists around
so perhaps we are spoilt for some of these purposes and activities.

Software Freedom Day is on Saturday. Come along and have a chat.
Geeks are geeks and there is much we have in common.
Linux does have a momentum.
That possibly means that an org which focuses on showcasing the
diversity of Unixes which are available and the kinds of markets where
they are valuable is important so that those aspects have a profile.
Alternatively you could work from an inclusive perspective and take on
Free Culture as an idea. Many of you might not be into foss
specifically. I dont know.

If you send out a press release email about the conference
I'm happy to send it on to other lists I'm on.

Basically I'm interested to find out what else is out there.

What do you folks want?

Janet