[AUUG-Talk]: Unix vs Linux

Jon Wright jgw at mac.com
Fri Sep 15 14:25:04 EST 2006

In a few previous posts there were a few Linux vs Unix comments and
it brings back fond memories of an earlier age....

In particular an AUUG conference held at Darling Harbour where there
was a big stoush between the defenders of RealUnix (tm) and
CommercialUnix(tm) :-)

As someone who was fortunate enough to study under John Lions but
then work with commercial unix (SunOS), I was on the minority side of
the debate.

Now, all these years later, it seems I am on the same side (of
RealUnix) vs the upstart Linux people :-)

The truth of the matter (from my perspective) is that Unix is much
more an attitude and approach than a particular flavour. I have my
personal preferences (darwin) but I accept fellow travelers from any
vaguely Unix-like, non-Windows environment.

If AUUG is to survive long term, perhaps the question of "what is
Unix" needs to be answered in a way that is sufficiently broad to
allow all comers (while at the same time not upsetting the purists).

Just my 2c worth.

Jon