[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Steve Landers steve at digitalsmarties.com
Thu Sep 14 18:28:04 EST 2006

On 14/09/2006, at 3:43 PM, Enno Davids wrote:

> I hear that getting a program together for the conference has been
> 'interesting'.

Absolutely, but (as I mentioned in a previous post) Lawrie Brown and
Adrian Close have done a tremendous job and there is a quality
program (2 streams in fact - http://new.auug.org.au/events_store/
auug2006/abstracts).

> And of course the reason I wrote 'broader audience' earlier is that
> most
> of those who've commented here so far have already put in a lot
> over the
> years. So firstly my thanks for the effort and of course my
> apologies for
> painting with a too broad brush but I felt it needed to be said,
> needs to
> be said again and again and said in that way...
>
> In a very real sense, I suspect the few names we see commenting
> here are
> the ones who still care.

I'm glad you brought this up Enno.

In case I didn't make it clear in my previous posts - IMO the strong
views expressed in this forum are a reflection of the concern that
people have about AUUG. Of course, get any 5 Unix people together and
you'll have 10 opinions (at least) about how to solve a problem - but
that diversity is what I like about AUUG.

It isn't easy (and I'm sure we could have done things better with
hindsight) but as long as there are people willing to speak, and
enough people attend to cover the costs, then I am confident that it
is worth the effort - especially if that load can be spread over more
people next time.

Steve