[AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG: Time to pull the plug?

Enno Davids enno.davids at metva.com.au
Thu Sep 14 17:43:31 EST 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 02:44:51PM +1000, steve jenkin wrote:
|Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote on 14/9/06 11:52 AM:
|
|I was a founding member. It'd be nice to see AUUG continue, but since
|2000 it's not been a well puppy.

Oddly I was thinking similar thoughts to the ones I've seen aired here.
Perhaps even more oddly my response was to think if there was something I
could do to help.

Perhaps it needs saying for the broader audience, but AUUG is a volunteer
run organisation and as such is only as good as the effort we all put in.
I know from the Victorian chapter stuff that damn few are putting in. I hear
that getting a program together for the conference has been 'interesting'.

We need people to put their hands up both to run the organisation and to
participate. We need people at chapter meetings. We need people at
conferences. We need people to speak at conferences. We need people to
stand for the organising commitees both nationally and in the chapters.
We need those volunteers.

If AUUG isn't offerring you enough to get you to come along, then tell us
what we need to do. Clearly there are plenty of you out there who are
disaffected in some way, but it'll take us changing something to generate
interest (and seriously we are constantly canvassing for input about what
people might like to see changed) and we do actually need the members,
the former members and the interested bystanders to commit to the
organisation. If we can't interest you, if you haven't the inclination
to assist either in a broad sense or even on the narrow sense with your
own inclination to participate, then the talk of winding up may be called
for. (Personally I think its premature but maybe I'm misjudging how
pissed off, bored or apathetic people feel about AUUG.)

And of course the reason I wrote 'broader audience' earlier is that most
of those who've commented here so far have already put in a lot over the
years. So firstly my thanks for the effort and of course my apologies for
painting with a too broad brush but I felt it needed to be said, needs to
be said again and again and said in that way...

In a very real sense, I suspect the few names we see commenting here are
the ones who still care.

Enno.