[AUUG-Talk]: Re: Sell me an Apple!

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Mon Mar 27 20:09:50 EST 2006

David,

>The story is wrong; Microsoft customers are just as
> passionate, but where Apple's customers have love, Microsoft's have
> hate.)  Most people I've spoken to give the impression that the
> hardware is great to okay, and that it's the software that's most
> fabulous.  'It just works,' is a cry often heard from Apple owners.

Apples generally DO JUST WORK. They're well known to do that, however
consider this:

For the main application I test (a web based, PHP5 + MySQL based thing),
my Dual 1.8Ghz G5 will serve pages 2-3 times slower than an AMD 2600XP+,
and 3-4 times slower than a Pentium IV 2.6Ghz. The latter two machines
run Gentoo Linux (although Debian serves just as fast).

This means that if I use my machine to base the test on, it takes me
about 2 times as long; hence I'll normally 'borrow' one of the Pentium
IVs and even if they are being used for development - that is someone is
running Eclipse IDE, deploying, testing their own stuff - it is STILL
faster.

Certainly for ease of use, they're very good, however I don't think a
good, easy to use operating system precludes that operating system from
being able to serve PHP5 and MySQL web-sites efficiently and quickly.

DSL