[AUUG-Talk]: ACA says that Anti-spam laws are working...

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Jul 23 23:28:49 EST 2004

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Friday, 23 July 2004 at 11:37:52 +1000, David Purdue wrote:
>
>>According to The Age
>>(http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/22/1090464779848.html) the
>>Australian Communications Authority says that the new Anti-Spam laws
>>have dramatically reduced the amount of spam we are all recevining.
>>
>>Has anyone noticed?
>
> I have noticed a significant increase in the amount of spam I've been
> receiving.  I have alsoo noticed a significant increase in the amount
> of spam I've been sending.

I'd have to back this up. I've also noticed a significant increase in
the number of stupid flamewars on LUG lists because someone sends a
message which 99% of the list thinks is acceptable, but that one or two
people feel they can use the new laws as a mallet to stop.

For example, free training days with major vendors are explicitly
allowed to be advertised on the list I am thinking of, but an ACA
employee still thought he should start a flame war about how that was a
breach of the law.

Ah well, whatever.

Mikal

--