[Talk] Mailing List Memberships

David Lloyd lloy0076 at rebel.net.au
Thu Mar 21 11:15:27 EST 2002

Luigi

> I agree but it must be made clear if the volume is large we may advise a new
> list will be required.

Which is precisely what I stated at last night's meeting...

> Sometimes strange initial discussions lead to very interesting topics.

On the other hand, one of the strengths of the LinuxSA list -- and one
of the things that I particularly like (1) -- is that large, rambling
almost, but not quite, totally off topic subjects aren't immediately
squashed.

This means that LinuxSA almost never goes quiet even for those members
who never come to the meeting which gives LinuxSA an identity to hold
onto. Unfortunately, quarterly yearly journals and almost dead mailings
lists don't strike me as a way to keep membership and non-membership
interest.

We need non-membership interest because, by definition, new members are
non-members (you can't get new members from people who are already
members -- really obvious but worth stating):

I make the following comments about AUUGN and mailing lists:

--
* AUUGN

I am interested in the journal and I believe it's worth retaining. But
it doesn't have a wide readership...

If there is something to talk about or argue about -- even if it is way
off topic -- it means the group is alive. Whilst I believe that
membership to mailing lists should be closed to the people who are
members of the mailing list (to stop spam etc), closing the sa-auug
mailing list to non-members is, in my opinion, non-sensical.