[Talk] Some thoughts on AUUG, LUG's and their future

Gary R. Schmidt grschmidt at acm.org
Wed Jul 3 01:04:36 EST 2002

Steve,
While I agree with a lot of what you are saying in relation to the need
to rejuvenate AUUG, I have a couple of points to make.

You are making a distinct mistake in dismissing the "Old Guard" UNIXen.

>   SunOS/Solaris used to be the leading edge.  AIX, HP-UX etc have only
> ever been
>   vendor niche products.  Is SCO still around even?  SGI/MIPS are
> transforming.

SCO/Caldera is _still_ the biggest selling OS in the vertical
applications market.  Yes, I understand that if Linux is used it can be
invisible, but you have to look at what is being sold in the USA to get
a feel for these figures.  And learn to ignore sections of the media.

The _hardware_ produced by Sun, IBM, et al is (possibly excluding the
Itanium-based machines) several levels ahead of the PC and Macintosh
architectures, and so no company who considers their data to be critical
will move their main systems away from these proprietary solutions until
there is a suitable replacement.  And yes, there have been court cases
where customers have sued vendors (and won), in relation to failure to
deliver on contracted agreements.

Now, we know that Sun have just announced a Sun-badged Linux for the x86
architecture, and that IBM are spending money on Linux development, but
this does not mean that there will be a sudden, or even slow, death of
commercial UNIX Operating Systems.  I have been reading and hearing
about the "imminent death of UNIX" for about twenty years now, and it is
still with us.  Just as the mainframe is not dead.

If we want decent hardware produced to run our operating systems on, the
vendors who are capable of doing so must be convinced that it is worth
it _to_ _them_ to continue.  In just the last twenty years, many great
hardware platforms and versatile operating systems have fallen by the
wayside, not for a lack of technical merit, but a perception in the
market that "we can just do that on a PC".  Telling the remaining
machine developers that we can live without them will be throwing the
baby out with the bath water.

 > - Rebrand AUUG EG: - "Aust Unix/Linux/BSD User Group"
This I really disagree with, it smacks of Stallman's push for
GNU/ABC/DEF/GHI/IJK/Linux.  If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck,
and walks like a duck, it's a duck.

Extend it, yes, as we did when we became the "Australian UNIX and Open
Systems User Group", but keep the AUUG name/symbol as it is.

	Cheers,
		Gary	B-)

   Gary R. Schmidt          At Play: grschmidt at acm.org
                            Sure I work, I no longer boast about it.