[Talk] Some thoughts on AUUG, LUG's and their future

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Thu Jul 4 12:12:26 EST 2002

On Wednesday,  3 July 2002 at  1:04:36 +1000, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> [quoting Steve Jenin]
>> - Rebrand AUUG EG: - "Aust Unix/Linux/BSD User Group"
> This I really disagree with, it smacks of Stallman's push for
> GNU/ABC/DEF/GHI/IJK/Linux.  If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck,
> and walks like a duck, it's a duck.
>
> Extend it, yes, as we did when we became the "Australian UNIX and Open
> Systems User Group", but keep the AUUG name/symbol as it is.

I have a concern about the term "Open Systems".  It has a late 80s,
early 90s smell about it.  I think that we should remove that term,
but it's not clear what to replace it with.  The best I have come up
with so far has been "AUUG: Australian UNIX and related systems User
Group".  Comments?  Improvements?

Greg