[Talk] Some thoughts on AUUG, LUG's and their future

Adrian Close adrian at auug.org.au
Tue Jul 2 22:59:54 EST 2002

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Steve Jenkin wrote:

> It is becoming clear that Linux & *BSD are the future of Operating
> Systems. This is meant to start a conversation/discussion of what this
> means for us & AUUG.
[..mucho snippo..]

Steve, this is great stuff.  This has obviously been rattling around in
your head for a while and I think you should get in the face of the new
AUUG Exec (sorry, "Board of Directors"!) about it.

I very much like the idea of AUUG being the linking group between the
LUGs/BUGs/whatever.  I am reminded of CAMS in the motorsport arena
(although I'd hope that AUUG would have a less antagonistic relationship
with the other user groups!) and that could be a good model.

And yes, I am looking on at the current spectacle that is Apple with its
possibly winning combination of the stable BSD-based OS backend and
mature user-friendly UI with great interest.  If I had the spare cash I'd
go out a buy a new Mac tomorrow to replace the unfortunate case of
Windows I seem to have acquired.  ;)

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201