Submissions for the Parliamentary Joint Committee in the Australian Crime Commission

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Sun Apr 20 13:18:19 EST 2003

We have just received a letter from the Parliamentary Joint Committee
in the Australian Crime Commission (PJC) inviting us to make a
submission to the PJC's inquiry into cybercrime.  Here are a couple of
extracts from the letter:

  The enquiry will examine recent trends in cybercrime with particular
  reference to:

   * child pornography and associate paedophile activity,
   * banking, including credit card fraud and money laundering,
   * threats to national critical infrastructure.

  The PJC intends to examine recent trends and any potential
  limitations on the ACC's ability to preform [sic] its duties
  effectively, including the adequacy of the existing legislative
  framework for combating cybercrime and related offences.

  The PJC has asked that submissions be lodged by 9 May 2003.

We recently did a highly successful submission on the issue of
management and electronic information in the Commonwealth.  I hope
that, despite the very limited time, we can do so again in relation to
this issue.  Please contact me if you're interested, and we'll do our
best to meet this very tight deadline.

Greg Lehey
President, AUUG Inc.