AUUG needs you!

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Mon Apr 7 12:41:14 EST 2003

You should all have received the latest edition of AUUGN by now.  If
you haven't, please contact Liz Carroll <busmgr at auug.org.au> and tell
her, and she'll get one to you.

Some of you may even have read my column in AUUGN.  The bottom line:
we're doing fine, but we're limited by the level of involvement by our
members.  I'd like to ask you again to consider devoting some of your
copious spare time to AUUG.  I describe a number of opportunities in
the President's Column, but today I'd particularly like to remind you
that the next election for the AUUG Board of Directors is coming up.
Nominations close in a week's time, so now's the time to fill out that
form and send or fax it back.

What's involved?  Here's a rough description of the duties.

All: Attend all-day board meetings four times a year (usually a
Saturday in February, May, August and November) and a fifth half-day
meeting just before the annual conference.  With the exception of the
last full meeting and the half-day meeting before the conference,
which are in the same city as the conference, the other meetings will
be wherever is cheapest, and that depends on the composition of the
board.  This year we have a predominance of members from Adelaide, so
we're having our meetings in Adelaide.  In previous years the meetings
have been in Sydney, but it's also possible that next year they might
be in Melbourne or Brisbane.  Where necessary, AUUG pays your flight
and accommodation to such meetings.  Board members are expected to
attend the annual conference, so we don't normally pay for attendance,
though in cases of hardship we'll usually find a way.

During the board meetings you'll be allocated tasks to perform.  These
could be big things ("run next year's security symposium") or smaller
ones ("review privacy policy").  On average, you can expect that the
smaller activities will keep you active for between 2 and 8 hours per
quarter, though that depends on your capacity for pain.  It's up to
you to commit to any task; we don't force people to do anything.

In addition, the officers have more work to do:

President: run the show.  Ensure that the other members of the board
are doing their jobs.  Chair meetings.  Represent AUUG to the outside
world.  Expect to spend half an hour every day talking on the phone to
Liz, and to devote a total of several hours a week to AUUG.  Prepare
a quarterly report to the Board, a report to the AGM, and a report to
the new President when one is elected.

Vice-president: Act as the liaison between the national Board of
Directors and the Chapters.  Represent the President when he is not
available.  Probably not more than an hour a week.

Secretary: Conduct AUUG's correspondence, with much help from Liz.
Organize board meetings.  Conduct and keep minutes of board meetings.
Maintain the membership list and provide the returning officer with
details when there is a ballot.  Prepare a quarterly report to the
Board, a report to the AGM, and a report to the new Secretary when one
is elected.  Further details are in paragraph 36 of the AUUG
Constitution (http://www.auug.org.au/info/constitution.html).

Treasuer:

Maintain the accounts.  Notify President and Secretary of any change
in the location of the accounts.  Receive all payments, maintain the
bank accounts.  Prepare a quarterly report to the Board, a report to
the AGM, and a report to the new Secretary when one is elected.
Further details are in paragraph 37 of the AUUG Constitution
(http://www.auug.org.au/info/constitution.html).  He should expect to
spend several hours at a stretch going over the accounts with the
business manager once or twice a month.  Although not a requirement,
it would be very convenient if the business manager and Treasurer were
to live in the same city.

Returning officer, assistant returning officer:

These positions are not board members.  They are responsible for
conduction the ballot.  The rest of the year they don't have any
particular work to do.

------------------------------------

How to be nominated:

Decide what kind of membership would interest you.  Make sure to cross
out the rest, or you may find yourself elected to do much more work
than you're prepared to do.  Even as a new entry to the board you can
take up an office, but you might find it better to find your feet as
an ordinary board member first.

You'll see from the application form that you require three members to
nominate you.  What happens if you don't have three members?  Don't
let that stop you.  Send in your form with whatever nominations you
have (even none), and we'll do what we can to get somebody to fill in
the missing nominations.  The important thing is to get the
information in before 14 April.

No nomination form?  Get one from Liz (1-800 625 655).

Any questions?  Feel free to reply to me, or call me on 08 8388 8286.
You can also contact our Returning Officer, David Purdue
<david.purdue at auug.org.au>.

Greg Lehey
President, AUUG Inc.