[AUUG-Talk]: Wind up AUUG: Objections?

Lawrie Brown Lawrie.Brown at canb.auug.org.au
Tue Oct 28 00:20:22 EST 2008

Hi Kevin

I'll address just a couple of brief items before heading to bed.
And see what response there is by tomorrow.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:00:51AM +1100, Kevin Dawson wrote:
> Regarding the membership list, it's not intended as a proper register
> and it hasn't been updated with any renewals or resignations since the

I have been given a copy of the current membership list by Peter, and
it reflects all payments/changes recieved by him to date, it has 27
members (plus 1 just expired, still in 2 month waiver).

> An aside: who holds the books at the moment and is our Public Liability
> insurance up to date?

I think Peter has most of the stuff.

> As others have noted, it looks like there are 2 ways of moving forward:
>
>      1. Reinvigorate AUUG
>      2. Create and incorporate AUUGPS
>      3. Have AUUG transfer its assets to AUUGPS
>      4. Wind up AUUG
>      5. Preserve the assets it desires
>
> or
>
>      1. Reinvigorate AUUG
>      2. Preserve the assets it desires

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the AUUGPS list,
effectively over these 2 options. Whilst I was originally in favour
of the latter, I think the consensus is to go for the former because:

1) Consumer Affairs Victoria has a fixed fee (currently $39-70)
   for filing annual statements, whereas the ACT apparently allows
   free filing for small orgs (< $5k/yr turnover)
   Given Stephen would like to operate the new org with no or
   minimal finances, this is attractive.

2) the formation of a new organisation will clearly distinguish the
   difference between the old and new groups.

3) the Public Officer needs to be a Victorian resident if we
   keep the existing AUUG, since thats where its incorporated.
   However most of the movers for the new org are ACT residents,
   which makes things more difficult.

See the AUUGPS list for more background.

Cheers
Lawrie