[AUUG-Talk]: Facts - current status of AUUG

Lawrie Brown Lawrie.Brown at canb.auug.org.au
Sun Nov 2 15:18:04 EST 2008

Hi David

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 02:41:15PM +1030, David Newall wrote:
> I'm reluctant to point this out, but by way of the Devil's Advocate:
> Peter can't appoint a member to fill a vacancy by himself.  This needs
> to be done by the Board, however it can't meet without a quorum, which
> is five members, and as only one person was elected, it can't meet at
> all, and so it can't act.

If one want to be strictly legalistic - then yes. In which case, we may as
well give up now and lose the lot. I'll also note that CAV's suggestion
that a group of members get together and just appoint a board is also
not in strict accordance with the rules. But its a pragmatic recognition
that sometimes you just need to go ahead and do something in good faith.

So thats what I'm doing. I'll also note that, in accordance with the
rules, these cooptions and appointments will be put to the members for
ratification at the AGM (being the next available general meeting). If
the members really don't like it, they can make their feeling felt then
(and also likely accept that all is lost).

Until then, I intend to focus on what CAN be done, and will in general
ignore anything else.

Regards
Lawrie