[AUUG-Talk]: Facts - current status of AUUG

Lawrie Brown Lawrie.Brown at canb.auug.org.au
Sun Nov 2 13:16:44 EST 2008

Hi John

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 10:26:42AM +1100, John Dodson wrote:
> I would like to see AUUG continue, even as a shell of it's former self & like

Yes, and there are a few others who feel likewise, hence the moves
currently afoot to enable this to proceed. Recognizing also the
distinct lack of enthusiasm over the past considerable period,
this also means recognising we need to do as much with as little
required effort as possible.

> others I don't really see the point of creating AUUGPS when AUUG could just
> continue as "AUUG". (Having read args for & against in these forums - I realise
> that the primary problem is "inc in vic" which can be solved, if we have someone
> prepared to do it & some meagre funds to expedite it)

Regretably, I have to disagree. That was also my initial position.
However the more I find out about the problems, the worse the info
gets.  Bluntly, I am reluctant to discuss in detail some of these
issues in an open forum, as they do pertain to AUUG's legal status and
responsibilities. These will clearly be a topic for first the new board,
and the them members at the AGM to discuss. In brief I will note that
these problems have been outstanding since 1996. In past years a number of
former board members have made strenuous efforts to resolve the problem,
and have failed. At this point I do not see how another attempt is any
more likely to succeed. Consequently there is considerably uncertainty
as to AUUG Inc's actual current legal standing.

> I would like to see the "Lions" funds/award preserved in some way & putting it
> towards the Lions chair (which has/had already been agreed long ago it seems
> & the trustees are the people to do that - unless they are reluctant?) seems the

Yes, as has already been noted a few times here, the Lions Award
Trustees have indeed agreed to transfer the funds to the Lions Chair,
and the former AUUG board agreed. Unfortunately (like just about
everything to do with AUUG recently), there has been a failure to
follow through. Ensuring this does occur is, I believe, one of the
things the new board needs to monitor.

> Who is actually on the board now? (not on the AUUG website)
> What positions on the board need to be filled now?
> Who is prepared to continue in their current/last position?

Peter Wishart nominated for Treasurer. As his was the only nomination
(for any position) he was elected unopposed to the board. Unfortunately
the lack of any other positions being filled, and Peter being swamped
with other priorities, meant this didn't get promulgated. The returning
and assistant returning officers also nominated (being Kevin Dawson
and Frank Crawford), and are willing to continue in those (non-board)
roles. Earlier this year I expressed an interest in assisting, and was
subsequently coopted onto the board by Peter, in accordance with the rules
for filling vacancies. Peter and I have now approached a number of others
to fill further vacancies (and I'll respond to your offer privately). We
hope to call a meeting for the new board in the coming week, to confirm
the cooptions, and to allocate members to the remaining vacant officer
positions. Once that is done I believe it would then be appropriate to
announce to all the composition of the new board, and their roles.

On that, if any other AUUG members wish to volunteer their services
to help with the board, and can commit to attending the board meetings
and to voting (either in person or by proxy) at the AGM & SGMs, then
please contact me.

> What is a list of financial members who might be persuaded to fill them?

I have that list, and am happy to share it with board members.  Privacy
limitations mean I do not believe it is appropriate to distribute it
beyond that. There are now 28 names on that list (I've clarified
one uncertain status), with the largest concentrations being ACT
and NSW. The board meetings are planned to use phone conference,
so location is not as critical. I suspect the AGM will be located
in Canberra, in early Dec, but thats a topic for the board meeting.

> What is the financial position?
> (What are the expected outgoings? - recent financial info can't be that

I have still to find time to review the books and get a firm position.
However Peter tells me that outgoings are now fairly small (and can
hopefully be made smaller). Excluding the Lions Award funds, AUUG still
has sufficent funds to require the use of a professional liquidator
should it be would up - which will swallow most of those funds. This
seems an utter waste to me, and one reason why I believe it is important
for AUUG to manage the distribution of most of these funds to a suitable
organization that use them in a manner consistent with AUUG's aims. This
will clearly be a topic for the members to discuss and authorise action
on at the AGM.

> What recent (since the last successful election) actions have the board taken?

None - see above. Trying to GET something happening is what I'm
currently trying to arrange.

> And finally...
> Is there a problem with discussing the board's decisions?

In relation to some issues, including those I've alluded to above,
I think there are grounds for care. For most others, hopefully not.

For the record, there is now an AUUG Members only list which can
be used for member only discussions. Members can post to it at:

    auug-memb at auug.org.au

Yes, I'm hoping to post a more detailed member update on it sometime
this week. Its one of the many todo's I'm currently juggling.

I do wish to say that the relative quiet after the flurry of messages
on this list does NOT mean that nothing is happening. Its just that
I find myself in the awkward limbo state of trying to organise action,
without having reached the point where those actions have been
duly authorised on behalf of AUUG (for which we need to have that
first board meeting). So understand that the above is my intent,
but that for now I speak on my own behalf, not (yet) for AUUG's.

I really hope to have a lot more to say, in an official capacity,
in the relatively near future. It is also our clear intent to
arrange an AGM to occur this year, as noted above. This will provide a
concrete forum for members to make their views clear, and to authorise
actions as needed.

Regards
Lawrie