[AUUG-Talk]: Re: [AUUG-ANNOUNCE]: [AUUG-BOARD]: Dissolution ballot results

Christopher Vance Christopher.Vance at auug.org.au
Sun Mar 16 13:41:42 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 01:25:27PM +1100, Chris Maltby wrote:
>Leaving aside the question of what "trading" AUUG might be engaged in
>for a moment, is there a suggestion that AUUG is presently (or will
>soon) be trading while insolvent? If so, the directors have their duty
>clear to either cut expenses or increase income or get a loan with
>reasonable prospects it can be repaid.

Not soon, but the direction is probably still down.  I cut some of the
easier costs while Treasurer, and imagine Peter Wishart will do some
of the harder ones now he's on the job.

>But, using slightly less precipitous language, it would be good to see
>from the board (or others) possible plans to move permanently to a lower
>cost structure that is sustainable within the resources available.

We do need to do this.

While we remain incorporated, we have some costs which might not have
applied to an unincorporated body.  Without a profit-making
conference, our sole income is membership fees.  We still have some
sponsorship of a won't-charge-for-our-services type, but we can't
necessarily assume that will remain as we reduce visibility.

--
Christopher Vance