[AUUG-Talk]: misc questions from a pom

Kevin Dawson kevind at esi.com.au
Thu Jul 31 15:30:29 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 08:10 +0100, Frank Shute wrote:

> [ cable ratsnest ]
> I don't know anything about telephone wiring, so I was proposing to
> either get Telstra or a freelance telephone engineer in to fix it.

All fixed telecommunications cabling (ie, behind the socket, be it for
telephone, computer or alarm) is required to be done by a registered
cabler.  A Telstra tech may be such a beast; it's likely that most
electricians, or at least those that do commercial premises, would be as
well.  I don't know for sure, as I'm registered myself and hence don't
need to find someone else.  There are also companies and individuals
that advertise in the Yellow Pages (start at CABLERS or similar).  The
going rate is typically about $100 per socket, at least among those I've
asked (it's only a sideline for me).

If you want any further thoughts, feel free to send me an email

> Finally, any recommendations for an ISP? A static IP would be nice but
> not essential and a fairly large cap would be handy.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/ will help there.

Hope that helps and enjoy your stay,

More information about the Talk mailing list