[AUUG-Talk]: Whither options for continuing AUUG

Christopher Vance Christopher.Vance at auug.org.au
Sun Jan 20 23:11:46 EST 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 03:49:01PM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>On Sunday, 20 January 2008 at 15:24:58 +1100, Christopher Vance wrote:
>> We have ongoing costs, which I trimmed severely when I was
>> Treasurer, but some of which are unavoidable and still ongoing.
>
>We discussed these a while back, but I don't recall coming to
>agreement.  Which costs would remain?  My recollection was that it was
>the re-registration of the domain auug.org.au, which I'm prepared to
>pay for out of my pocket.  What else is there that would remain
>relevant in this situation?

What comes to mind immediately are insurance, as already noted by
Peter Miller, accounting fees, which could probably be reduced, mail
redirection, merchant facility and other bank fees.

Expenses recently eliminated, or in process of elimination, include
multiple phone lines, phone redirection, phone message service, and a
paid storage unit for long term boring stuff.

Expenses which could arise as activity reduces further include ISP
fees, currently sponsored by Internode.

>Let's look at this from the point of view of keeping AUUG alive.  What
>difficulties are there in what I'm suggesting, and how do we surmount
>them?

If you want zero cost, you have to ditch incorporation, which means
dropping the bank account and everything that has money go in either
direction, and you probably have to ditch organized activities to
avoid potential liability.  And you'll end up with people having to
cover costs themselves, such as domain registration, already
volunteered.

--
Christopher Vance