[AUUG-Talk]: Re: Wording of ballot

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Sun Jan 20 15:53:58 EST 2008

On Sunday, 20 January 2008 at 15:39:01 +1100, Peter Wishart wrote:
> Some context for my responses below ... I am now on the board. I joined
> at the AGM specifically to help continue AUUG (in some form).
>
> I applaud the continuing board members for not just walking away.
> But I recognise that they have been carrying AUUG on behalf of an
> extremely dis-interested community (including all the people who are
> committed non-members) for sometime.

Agreed.  We can't maintain AUUG at the same level as in the past.  I
spent lots of time as "temporary" editor of AUUGN because I couldn't
get anybody to become a real editor.  I see the future AUUG, if it be,
as little more than a mailing list around which people gather.  But
that's worth keeping.

> Greg 'groggy' Lehey said the following on 20/01/2008 2:28 PM:
>> On Sunday, 20 January 2008 at 11:35:02 +1100, Peter Wishart wrote:
>>> The ballot has not been issued yet.  The wording of the ballot is
>>> still be discussed by the board.
>>
>> It's clear that it's completely within the rights of the board to
>> restrict participation in the ballot to current members, and that
>> currently you need to pay $125 to be a member.  But that's missing the
>> point: it's my contention, and that of others, that it's exactly this
>> $125, for which you get effectively nothing, that is killing AUUG.
>
> I encourage such a discussion and active polling of those who may be
> interested.   What we need is a volunteer to organise the polling.
> Don't wait for the board to do it.

To be fair, I think it's the board's responsibility to do so.  But
yes, it's been some time since I've waited for the board to do
something, since long before I resigned as president.

> I would be happy to take the results to board (assuming that is
> needed or relevant).  I doubt very much that we would find
> resistance to a handover to an energetic committed well organised
> group of people who want to carry AUUG forward.

OK, I'll start something up right now.  I'll abuse auug-announce to do
so.

> But I do not see this as part of the ballot which was required from
> the AGM.  That needs to be only for members and to be specific to
> the motion passed, which was whether or not to dissolve.

But it's of the essence.  Whether or not AUUG dissolves depends mainly
on whether enough interest remains to keep it alive.

Greg