[AUUG-Talk]: Wording of ballot (was: paper ballot?)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Sun Jan 20 14:28:02 EST 2008

On Sunday, 20 January 2008 at 11:35:02 +1100, Peter Wishart wrote:
> Peter Miller said the following on 20/01/2008 10:51 AM:
>> Have the paper ballots been posted?
>> I was expecting something in the post by 12-Jan ("no later than one month"
>> 33.1).
>
> It is intended that the ballot be conducted by email, not by post.
>
> The ballot has not been issued yet.  The wording of the ballot is
> still be discussed by the board.

Peter M makes a valid point that you're late.

I'd strongly suggest that such discussions should include the
alternative of polling the many ex-members, like myself, who would be
more than happy to continue running AUUG if the membership fees were
abolished.

It's clear that it's completely within the rights of the board to
restrict participation in the ballot to current members, and that
currently you need to pay $125 to be a member.  But that's missing the
point: it's my contention, and that of others, that it's exactly this
$125, for which you get effectively nothing, that is killing AUUG.  In
particular, there are four possible outcomes:

1: AUUG continues as a fee-paying organization.
2: AUUG folds.

These two can be decided by the current membership.  It's fairly clear
that option (1) is not going to work.  The other two are:

3: AUUG continues as a non-fee-paying organization.
4: AUUG folds.

It's point (3) that can't really be decided by the current membership.
(4) is, of course, the same as (2) except for the people who decide
it; and clearly it's still a possibility.  But it's possibility (3)
that I see as the most promising.  I'd strongly encourage the board to
at least have a second ballot, for non-members, to indicate whether
they'd support it.

Greg