[AUUG-Talk]: What happened to CAUUG's money? (was: Any progress on continuing as an unincorporated organisation)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Sat Jan 19 16:33:36 EST 2008

On Thursday, 17 January 2008 at 10:47:44 +1100, steve jenkin wrote:
> Christopher Vance wrote on 17/1/08 10:26 AM:
>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 09:57:28AM +1100, steve jenkin wrote:
>>> The agreement with the board at the time was that CAUUG would have
>>> access to these funds if it wanted to use them.
>>> As the AUUG Board never rescinded this agreement, that undertaking could
>>> probably still be enforced.
>>
>> Leaving the Lions Award out of it, I think you'll find AUUG does not
>> have that amount left.
>
> But that doesn't answer the question about CAUUG & the honouring of
> the original agreement.  [We would've dealt with the ABN/BAS
> question if the guarantee hadn't have been given]

We discussed this in a board meeting some years ago; IIRC Stephen
Rothwell and Michael Still were on the board at the time.  Maybe it
was Martin Schwenke; I'm copying all of them so that they can take The
summary, as I recall, was pretty close to what Adrian (also present)
said later:

- CAUUG (really the ACT chapter of AUUG) did not exist as a separate
  *financial* entity.  To do so would have involved us in reporting
  issues that would have been quite painful.
- The monies thus belonged to AUUG, though the board acknowledged that
  the money should go back to CAUUG when necessary.
- CAUUG wasn't actually doing anything at the time.  I seem to recall
  your (Steve J) intention to spend some money on newspaper ads.  The
  board felt that this was not an appropriate way to spend the money.

Nobody was happy with the situation, least of all the ACT people
involved, but I got the feeling that they grudgingly accepted it.

All this would have been out in the open, but the board decided that
we shouldn't publish the minutes of the meetings.

> It definitely raises Governance issues about the AUUG Board spending
> money it didn't have the rights to.

In fact, that's about the only issue that's clear: the AUUG Board
*did* have legal rights to it.  The real issue is whether we did it in
an honourable, not an accountable, way.

I may have minutes of the meetings.  I can search, and with the
Board's permission, I might be able to quote.

Greg