[AUUG-Talk]: Why AUUG is dying

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Tue Feb 19 18:08:54 EST 2008

Steve,

The niche that you described for AUUG is for "*professional* Admins and
Unix-o-phile."  There certainly was a time when Linux was the exclusive
realm of enthusiasts, students and educators (and few of the latter, at
that), but that time has long since passed.  It seems to me that your as
likely to find Linux in a server room as UNIX, and Linux's numbers are
increasing while UNIX's are decreasing.  Drawing a distinction based on
professional use is probably naive, blind or wilful ignorance.  Surely
that is what Greg meant when he said that "[y]our information is a
little out of date."

Having been on the receiving side of Greg's acerbic tongue, I think I'm
entitled to tell you that bandying words like "stupid" and "craziness"
was out of proportion to any slight you may have felt.  Greg sometimes
borders on rude, he's often brusque, and he rarely shows great tolerance
for foolishness; but I've never known him to be stupid or crazy.  If you
feel he insulted you, you could do a lot worse than to ignore it.

With sincerity,

David