[AUUG-Talk]: Why AUUG is dying (was: Query about "unincorporated successor AUUG's" and AUUGs domain)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Mon Feb 18 12:31:33 EST 2008

On Sunday, 17 February 2008 at 17:38:21 +1100, steve jenkin wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote on 16/2/08 5:12 PM:
>> Your information is a little out of date, as I would have expected you
>> to know.  Many of the Linux people I know are *very* professional.
>
> Greg, Are you stupid, or do you just try to rile people with
> craziness like this??

No.  That question seems more likely to be reflexive.

> Are you saying (w.r.t. '*very* professional') that all people in
> LUG's are 'professionals' and that all professional topics will be
> answered by any LUG?

No.  If you had read what I wrote, still quoted above, you wouldn't
have asked this question.

> If you aren't, then why the putdown and rejection of my proposal?

I'm not rejecting your proposal:

>> ... in general you're right, just for other reasons.

I don't think I warranted such an aggressive attack.  Yes, you're
right that many Linux people have different aims from your own, but so
do many UNIX people.

>> You could certainly start with your mates at Ozlabs for the first
>> scenario, but in general you're right, just for other reasons.
>
> So all the people in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Hobart etc can
> just mooch on down to Canberra and have a jolly little chinwag with my
> mates in Ozlabs??

How could you possibly derive that?  Read what I wrote.

> What I was trying to illustrate was:
>  - there is more than one Unix, the world-of-work is far from Linux
>    only

And that's what I said too, though not as clearly.  Given that above
you interpreted "many" to mean "all", I can understand that you might
not have seen it.

The real issue we have here is that there are many functions that a
technical UNIX-like organization can fulfil.  You describe some and
reject the hobbyists.  The Linux groups accept free software and
reject commercial software.  You're both too short-sighted.

Greg