[AUUG-Talk]: Query about "unincorporated successor AUUG's" and AUUGs domain

Peter Miller millerp at canb.auug.org.au
Sun Feb 17 21:48:37 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 22:45 +1030, David Lloyd wrote:
> MODE: Devil's Advocate

> AUUG has become irrelevant as well as dead.

When I think back to why I joined AUUG, and what I got out of it, the
thing that sticks in my mind is the opportunity to talk about coding
with coders.

I have made a conscious career decision to remain a coder (s/w designer,
s/w architect, code cutter, whatever), and not desert the vocation to be
yet another pointy-haired manager.  Like any professional, I want to
grow and improve.  Despite having coded for more than 30 years I think
there is *way* more yet to learn.  Where do I go today to learn and grow
as a coder?  It once was AUUG's annual conference, now it's LCA.  Where
else is there?  I haven't noticed a huge "freedom" bias at LCA, they
readily accept highly technical coding talks, but then I've written a
few lines of GPL code myself so maybe I didn't notice.

But LCA isn't enough, and so far I've organised five successful "coding
and camping" weekends, the first with AUUG's help (thank you!), to get
some concentrated encouragement and coaching.  (There will be another
this September, drop me a line if you are interested.)

Once upon a time AUUG had gazillions of members.  Now it has... fewer.
Where did all those people go?  They haven't died (well not all of
them).  They ARE going elsewhere for their needs.  They went elsewhere
for a *reason*, while AUUG sat and dug in its heels in and moaned "we
must remain true to our roots" and ossified, petrified.  I think that
AUUG has two simple choices: (1) jump and react and adapt and change,
change a lot, change out of sight, and change fast, or (2) become
extinct.  But, going on past performance, I suspect AUUG is unable to
change to be relevant to today's software landscape, not even the
"professional" landscape, whatever that means.

> Agreed - but you won't compete against the Linux user groups.

Having missed the boat, sulking in the corner doesn't help.
Book another ticket, or build an new boat, or start padding, but *do*
something!

> Apart from nostalgic reasons, why do we want AUUG to continue?

This is the _right_ question.

What I don't want, what I DO NOT need, is a "users" group.  If I wanted
multi-system sys-admin I'd go to SAGE.  I want a "coders" group.  auCg?
I want to be inspired by the next Lawrie, I want to be challenged by the
next Tridge.  I want a place that coders want to hang out at.

Regards
Peter Miller <millerp at canb.auug.org.au>
/\/\*        http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"Java is C++ without the guns, knives, and
clubs." --  James Gosling, co-inventor of Java