[AUUG-Talk]: Query about "unincorporated successor AUUG's" and AUUGs domain

Greg 'groggy' Lehey Greg.Lehey at auug.org.au
Fri Feb 15 13:47:35 EST 2008

On Friday, 15 February 2008 at 11:05:31 +1100, Lawrie Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm (sadly) looking at my ballot instructions, but before I proceed
> to vote, I was wondering whether anyone has actually put up their hand
> to setup any unincorporated successor "AUUG" like associations that the
> board are aware of.

As I've mentioned from time to time, I've been thinking of it, but
haven't contacted the Board yet.  Board, this is the contact.

It looks like a case of "now or never", so, for all to see, including
auug-announce, whom the Board seem to have forgotten:

- Stephen Rothwell, David Newall and I are prepared to continue the
  operations of AUUG, specifically the web server, including mail.

- We'd like to continue the AUUG organization essentially as before,
  but without charging membership fees for individuals.

- Where do we get our money from?  We have some now, and it's my
  contention that we can run the organization on a shoestring.  We've
  discussed this matter in the past, and some people have come up with
  non-trivial expenses such as accounting fees and insurance that
  might need to be paid.  It's my contention that they're not needed:
  if we don't have any cash flow, we don't need to pay accounting
  fees, and if we don't have events we won't need insurance.

- We *would* like to hold events, but that's down the road.  First we
  need to reestablish a membership base, and then we can see whether
  the members are interested in being active.

- A number of people other than David and Stephen have expressed
  interest in running the downsized AUUG.  I haven't mentioned them
  because I don't have a formal agreement to do so.  But everybody is
  welcome to join in.

In short, it'll be business as usual except for the membership fees.
We specifically do *not* want to deincorporate AUUG (Board please
note).

I'd encourage the Board to consider doing the following:

- Drop membership fees.

- Allow time for ex-members to re-join.  I'm sure David will have an
  appropriate membership  application up in a flash.

- Call an election for a new board, possibly in advance if the
  constitution allows it.

And that's all.  The new board could then handle the transition with a
minimum of fuss.  I'm prepared to help with this, but as I've said,
I'm not prepared to pay a membership fee to do so.

So what does this mean for your vote?  Despite my requests, the Board
has not included this option in the ballot papers.  I would suggest
that you vote against dissolution.  If the board continues to insist
on membership fees, fee-paying members should organize a way to change
that.

Greg