[AUUG-Talk]: LIONS AWARD * WTF *

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Mon Feb 4 03:35:38 EST 2008

David Lloyd wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Dave Horsfall wrote:
>  > On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, David Lloyd wrote:
>  >
>  >> Now I've got your attention:
>  >>
>  >> 1. WTF is it?
>  >> 2. Who TF has the money?
>  >
>  > So when you type "AUUG Lions Award" into your browser, what do you see?
>
> That page says what it is, but it doesn't say who has the money; however
> given that it's on AUUG's web server, with an AUUG e-mail address and an
> AUUG postal box, one can assume that AUUG might know who has the money
> or the means to dispense the prize.
>
> There's an interesting question: where is this money, i.e. the $1000 prize?

I'll assume you're not being deliberately disingenuous here and answer
with the obvious answer. AUUG holds the money (something of the order of
$30,000 IIRC) in trust and uses interest income to fund the prize in
perpetuity.

I've been mostly quiet on this issue due to my hope that something
sensible would come of the discussion, and the perceived conflict of
being on both (AUUG Lions Prize and UNSW Lions Chair) committees. But I
hereby make a proposal to the AUUG executive:

I propose that AUUG should take the balance of the money held for the
Lions Prize, and give that and the plaque commemorating the winners to
the UNSW Lions Chair. Of course AUUG would need the approval of the
trustees of the prize, who to the best of my knowledge are me, Lucy
Chubb and David Purdue. You have my permission to do that. That decision
can be made independently of when/whether/how to wind up AUUG, and might
unmuddy the waters a bit.

Greg.