[AUUG-Talk]: Any progress on continuing as an unincorporated organisation

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Feb 1 13:56:17 EST 2008

Lawrie Brown wrote:
> Hi Adrian, Steve and all
>
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 03:28:01PM +1100, Adrian Close wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, steve jenkin wrote:
>> No.  I'm simply asking what form of legal entity it is, if any, and
>> whether it has a bank account.
>>
>> The answers to those questions will likely shed some light on the reason
>> why the then-Treasurer of some years past was keen to centralise any and
>> all chapter monies in the AUUG Inc. account.
>
> As I recall (and for all this was some time back).
>
> CAUUG was the official ACT chapter of AUUG. Back in its active days
> (mostly late 80's & early 90's) it had its own chapter committee,
> own bank accounts (with support from the AUUG parent), and as
> noted was fairly active and generated a reasonable revenue flow
> for the time.
>
> Then back in the early 90's, as audit regulations were tightened,
> the auditors suggested that it would be cleaner and safer if
> the various dispersed chapter funds were centralised. So they were.
>
> And whilst Steve's recollection re promise of access to the funds
> matches mine ... I differ in that I feel the point is moot.
> CAUUG was never a separate legal entity, just a part of AUUG.
> So in a legal sense its funds are AUUGs funds. And as we all
> know AUUG is not what it was, and nor is its liquidity. So
> funds available were used as needed.
>
> Given that CAUUG is no more active than AUUG is (rather less in
> fact ... as has been the case for quite some years), can we
> please move on and find a suitable way of keeping what we value
> of AUUG alive whilst recognizing the time pressures on us all
> that make committment to running such a group much harder than
> it once was.

I agree. Whilst there was the best of intentions on the part of all
parties to the agreement, the reality is that CAUUG is effectively dead,
and has been for quite some time. What's the point in stashing money and
then not doing anything with it?

Perhaps CAUUG's near-final act for it's members was the delay the demise
of AUUG just that little bit longer, thus allowing CAUUG members to
benefit from AUUG.

Mikal