[AUUG-Talk]: Any progress on continuing as an unincorporated organisation

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Feb 1 13:53:57 EST 2008

Adrian Close wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, steve jenkin wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that CAUUG doesn't exist??
>
> No.  I'm simply asking what form of legal entity it is, if any, and
> whether it has a bank account.
>
> The answers to those questions will likely shed some light on the reason
> why the then-Treasurer of some years past was keen to centralise any and
> all chapter monies in the AUUG Inc. account.

"Keen" is a mis-characterization. CAUUG was begged by AUUG to centralize
the money. The money was moved at AUUG's request, with the understanding
that the money was reserved for CAUUG purposes. AUUG's specific concern
was the tax situation, as well as other reporting requirements. AUUG
convinced CAUUG at the time that moving the money was in the best
interest of all parties.

IIRC, CAUUG had a bank account at the time of the transfer, although it
was under the sole control of an even-longer-ago treasurer, who wrote a
cheque for the then-treasurer.

Mikal