[AUUG-Talk]: Conference Update

Greg Black gjb at auug.org.au
Wed Sep 26 13:51:10 EST 2007

On 2007-09-25, David Lloyd wrote:

(Grr, I really hate it when people strip the attributions off list
email.)

>>> What's going to happen to AUUG?  It would be a pity to see it struggle
>>> on, depleting its bank until nothing is left.  LA would use the assets
>>> appropriately.  I would also trust them to run the Lions award in a way
>>> that continues to honor the man.
>>
>> Unfortunately the AUUG constitution requires that any funds left as
>> dissolution go to an organisation with similar aims and objectives. LA
>> is not that, as it does not promote Unix. The Computer Society of the
>> IEEE is a much closer fit, with its work on and promotion of standards
>> based computing.
>
> I think it would be useful to clarify exactly what AUUG's constitution
> actually says about funds left after a dissolution?

That would seem to be self-evident.

> Furthermore, if it
> mentions the word, "Unix" or "unix" exactly *what* does that mean - from
> a lawyer's point of view?

That, on the other hand, would seem to be of only passing interest.
What really matters here is what we -- as aficionados of Unix --
consider it to mean, taking into account all the history that has got us
to this point.

And, while I'm here, I feel like mentioning that I'm rather sad to see
that AUUG seems to be approaching the end of the road.  Of course, like
everybody else who has found neither the time nor the will to step up to
plate and make a serious contribution while it still made sense to do
that, I acknowledge that I have nobody to blame but myself.

Cheers, Greg