[AUUG-Talk]: Conference Update

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Tue Sep 25 18:42:16 EST 2007

David Purdue wrote:
> David Newall wrote:
>
>> What's going to happen to AUUG?  It would be a pity to see it struggle
>> on, depleting its bank until nothing is left.  LA would use the assets
>> appropriately.  I would also trust them to run the Lions award in a way
>> that continues to honor the man.
>>

> Unfortunately the AUUG constitution requires that any funds left as
> dissolution go to an organisation with similar aims and objectives. LA
> is not that, as it does not promote Unix.
Linux is similar to UNIX.  LA is similar to AUUG.  Not identical, but
very close.  Much closer than a generic computer society.

LA might promote a different trademark, but they promote the same vibe.

> The IEEE also has an excellent track record of managing awards; although
> I think the trustees of the Lions Award fund would like to see the money
> go to the funding of the Lions Chair at UNSW.

Let's examine that.  Is it fair to say that funding a chair would
deplete the funds within a small number of years?  When the money is
gone, could it be replaced by a Microsoft Chair?