[AUUG-Talk]: international conferences in Oz (was: AUUG future)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Oct 21 00:07:54 EST 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007 23:04:21 Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 11:19:37AM +1000, 'Groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> BSD counterpart of LA?  In particular, there's a conference
>> "BSDCon Asia" that has been held in Taiwan and Japan so far.
>> Would there be critical mass to organize the next on in, say,
>> Sydney?

Nah, Burnie has prettier beaches, & there's that rock thingy at
Stanley -- oh, & in season, we do have penguins here. (-:

> An international conference here in Austalia?

Well... LA had one last year, at a funny little place called
Dunedin. Penguins there, too, & the airport was 60km out
of town (almost Tasmanian, in that manner).

> BSDCon Australasia would be a better thing to think about.

Hmmm. All of the good names seem to have been snaffled,
so you couldn't call it something like FreeBSD or OpenBSD (or
even NetBSD) to hold a "BSDs-and" sort of conference, the sort
of thing which would build more critical mass from FOSS people
who weren't necessarily BSD oriented.

A possible experiment for 2009 would be a BSD thread at LCA.
I know of BSD boxes at various LCAs doing utility work, so the
idea's hardly alien.

Mind you, Trent's sound-recording PCs, motherboards proudly
mounted in cardboard fruit boxes for LCA2003 (with audio &
RG-58 cables sticky-taped in place), would take a bit of
outclassing. ISTR that they were Pentium1 based in order to
avoid fan noise. (-:

I think it's a tad late for BSD at LCA2008 (Mel8ourne), except
possibly as a miniconf entry. But probably worth doing as a
sort of intro experiment & drum-roll kinda item.

Cheers; Leon