[AUUG-Talk]: Re: The future of AUUG (was: So, How was it? [Last AUUG Conference])

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Fri Oct 19 12:09:50 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 11:19 +1000, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > The tutorial turned out to be an introduction to OpenBSD internals
> > delivered by Marshall McKusick,
>
> Wasn't that FreeBSD?

Sorry - quite possibly.

> with your report.  It seems that there was a lot of emphasis on BSD.

Yes, well, not all AUUGies are alike. I have no axe to grind; let a
thousand flowers bloom, I say.

> Given that neither the AUUG diehards nor the Linux Australia diehards
> are interested in a merger of the two organizations (a thing that I
> still think the most logical)

As a minority, the BSDoids would certainly suffer some loss of identity.

AUUG is there for Linux too (And AIX and Solaris and...), but LA is
pretty much there for Linux. That loss should not be discounted. I don't
think it's "diehards" as such, and still less BSD; it's the sense that
everything else valuable would be swamped. Would Marshall's talk on the
history of FreeBSD have made it into an LA conference programme?

I'd rather see a merger than the simple extinction of AUUG, though.

> In particular, there's a conference "BSDCon
> Asia" that has been held in Taiwan and Japan so far.  Would there be
> critical mass to organize the next one in, say, Sydney?

That suggestion was raised at the meeting. I'd be happy to help with
such a project, or indeed with another straight AUUG conference.

Regards, K.