[AUUG-Talk]: AUUG AGM, Sunday 14 October

Kevin Dawson kevind at esi.com.au
Thu Oct 11 22:16:10 EST 2007

G'day all.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 07:04:25PM +1000, Joel Sing wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> > IIRC, the AGM during the conference was announced on the list some time
> > back.
>
> I hope this is correct, however searching for "AGM" or "annual general
> meeting" in my AUUG announce box doesn't show up any such messages.

I also can't find a notification.  There are a few references to topics
that should be discussed at the AGM, but that's not enough.  It hasn't
actually been called.

A notification needs to be sent to the members at least 4 weeks before
the meeting and include the time and place it will be held (and probably
an agenda).  Email, fax, OzPost are OK; a note on the web site won't be.

> > Anyhow, defects in procedures can be overcome by a vote of members.
>
> I don't see how this would work - you can't have members at an invalid AGM,
> vote to ignore the lack of notification. Anyway, as I said earlier, I don't
> want to be a wet blanket, however I've had to deal with the mess resulting
> from a similar situation and it's not fun...

As have I.  Joel is right - an AGM at AUUG2007 wouldn't be valid.  By all
means use the timeslot to have a discussion about some of the challenges
we're facing right now, such as AUUG's future, AUUGN, etc.

It may even be more productive without the usual AGM stuff taking up
time.  Nothing can be formally decided at AUUG2007, but some objective
discussion can help put some focus into people's minds.

We have until the end of December to hold the AGM and the Management
Committee can determine where and when.  Please do so.  As a start,
an agenda might include:
- reports from Officers
- results of the Board elections
- any motions on notice (and list them)
- determining where and when the next AGM is to be held.

I'm thinking about a notice of motion to amend the Constitution to allow
teleconferencing as attendance at a meeting (as no conference means no
personal get-together).  Yes, there are hurdles to overcome, but the
Board is already doing business between meetings this way.  It's a
next step (as opposed to NeXTstep :-)).

Kevin
AUUG Returning Officer