[AUUG-Talk]: AUUG2007 speakers

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Wed Feb 7 17:48:32 EST 2007

Adrian Close wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Arjen Lentz wrote:
>> I was intrigued by the statement from the board that there had been
>> no motion to disband AUUG at the AGM.
>
> There was talk of such a thing, by people who were notably absent from
> the AGM.
> They may indeed have voted with their feet, which is just fine by me.

People have left AUUG because it offers insufficient value, and this is
just fine with the president.  What a sad state of affairs.  Adrian is
to be commended for his generosity of time on behalf of AUUG's members,
but I think he's wasting that effort when he could be giving it for a
greater good, to whit helping an equivalent but more successful
organisation.  AUUG used to serve a purpose.  It's conferences used to
be fantastic.  It used to give a student prize (the John Lions Award.)
It used to publish a newsletter containing original content.  Now it
spends its bankroll whilst dreaming of the past.  Rather than close on a
high note it is simply going to waste away.  I've given AUUG well over
$20,000 in membership and sponsorship during my time (and that's money
which would otherwise have gone into my pockets.)  I don't regret that;
the money was needed at the time by an organisation which usefully
filled a necessary void, but AUUG today is not what it was then.  LA is.

>   I would like to think that those who remain are interested in
> helping AUUG do something useful.

It's most unlikely that AUUG will ever again be what it once was.  What
remains of value is its name, history and bank balance.  The most useful
thing that can be done with these is give them to a deserving organisation.

This is specifically not directed to Adrian.  I don't wish to waste his
precious AUUG time.  This is directed at financial members, who have
within their hands the power to do something about it.